Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Peace Be With You

Although I don't practice any particular religion, I grew up surrounded by my father's classic Italian-Catholic clan. In fact, my sister and I are the only ones in our whole family who did not go to Catholic school.  I'm not just talking the usual K-12 here.  College and Grad School too.  I then married into a good old fashioned South Side Irish Catholic family.
 
I'm now related to nuns and actual priests- on both sides!

I have never been baptized and I don't consider myself Catholic, but I've been to mass.  A lot of mass.  I actually love going to mass.  I have very happy memories of time spent there with my grandmother, my father and many other dear family members. 

There are many things to like about the service. The pageantry of the church is beautiful.  A good homily is riveting  and forces you to pause and reflect on your actions.  The communion line is some of the best people watching around.  But best of all is the moment when everyone stands up and offers peace to the other members of the congregation.

I absolutely adore the Sign of Peace. (and yes, I called a Catholic cousin to fact check the name)

Although the practice varies a bit from parish to parish, the basic exchange is always the same.  A handshake or touch on the shoulder.  One person says, "Peace be with you."   The other replies, "And also with you."  Some people simply smile and whisper, "Peace."  When my family attends mass together, we often offer each other hugs and kisses as we invoke peace.

From the time I was a small child, I have been captivated by this moment.  An entire room full of people wishing each other peace.  And responding in kind. Many of them are strangers. 
 
So simple.  So powerful.  So good.

In this new year, I find myself again enamored with peace.  In 2013, I'll be focused on peace and the many different ways that peace can encompass our lives.  Maybe this means making amends with a loved one or walking away from a conflict.  Maybe it means accepting something as is or treating a difficult person with kindness.  Maybe it means allowing things to unfold in their own way, without influence from our personal wants and desires.   Maybe it means just being still and loving yourself.

The many ways that peace can play a role in our lives is powerful, instructive and even  healing.

So, as you begin a new journey into a fresh year, peace be with you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment